This facial lotion has a lighter feel and specially picked oils to benefit oily and acne-prone skins. It can be used during day or night and it will promote a refreshed, moisturized and balanced skin!
Both argan and hemp seed oil are anti-inflammatory and have regenerative and cell-renewing effect. Also, argan oil helps to regulate skin’s sebum production, which complements very well with the astringency from hazelnut and grapeseed oils.
Cedarwood, lavender and petitgrain are great tonic and antiseptic oils, with antifungal and antibacterial oils, they will help to balance the skin, and at the same time, provide a lovely and fresh natural fragrance to your homemade facial lotion.
Ingredients for 250 ml recipe
|%||Weight in gr||Ingredient name||Phase|
|3,5||8,75||Skincare Crafters ECO||A|
|4||10||Skincare Crafters MULS||B|
|0,5 (Approx. 10 - 15 drops / 100gr)||Approx 25 - 37 drops in total||Divide the total amount of drops between one or more of following essential oils:
Petitgrain, Lavender, Cedarwood
- Measuring spoon 1 ml
- One small and one larger bowl – for measuring and mixing the ingredients
- Digital scale– with 0,1 gram precision
- Double boiler– for warming and melting oils, butters and oil-soluble ingredients. You can also use a heatproof glass beaker or jar resting in a saucepan with boiling water
- Stick blender– for mixing lotions and creams.
- pH stripes
- Recommended packing for this recipe: PET bottle clear or PET bottle amber with pump
This recipe is an emulsion, meaning that we mix water and water-soluble ingredients (Phase A), with oil and oil-soluble ingredients (Phase B) with the help of an emulsifier.
- Before you start, make a 20% citric acid solution by dissolving 1 ml citric acid in 4 ml of water. This solution will be used at the end to adjust the pH of the emulsion. Reserve it for now.
- Using the small bowl, and the digital scale, measure all the ingredients from Phase B, and add them, one by one, to the double boiler.
- On the larger bowl, dissolve the xanthan gum into the glycerin until fully dissolved.
- Measure and add the Skincare Crafters ECO preservative to the glycerin and xanthan gum mixture.
- Heat the Phase B ingredients in the double boiler until approximately 75°C to 80°C
- In the meantime, while the Phase B ingredients are being heated, measure and heat the water using a saucepan or kettle, until approximately 75°C to 80°C.
- When both Phase B ingredients and the water have reached the same temperature of 75°C to 80°C, add first the water to the larger bowl containing the glycerin mixture, and then add the Phase B ingredients to the same bowl.
- Mix the blend using the stick blender, for about 1 minute.
- Continue to blend using the spatula until the mixture start to thicken. You can rest the bowl in cold water to speed up the process.
- When the mixture has cooled under 30°C, add the essential oils and mix it thoroughly.
- Check the pH using the pH stripes. The pH of the formulation should be between 4 and 5,5. If it is above 5,5, add few drops of the 20% citric acid solution made on step 1 and measure the pH value again. Repeat if needed.
- Pour the lotion into the bottle and let to cool down completely to room temperature before setting the cap.
How to use
Apply to the face after cleansing, morning and night.
As with any recipe on this blog, you can change the vegetable oils and essential oils as you wish, using what you already have at home or customizing for other purposes. If you want to make this facial lotion for normal/dry skin instead, just replace the vegetable oils with apricot kernel, macadamia, pomegranate and sea buckthorn extract and replace the essential oils with chamomile, palmarosa and neroli.