Produce your own intensive nourishing and softening hair mask, enriched with organic oils argan and broccoli seed, lots of shea butter, and our super rich organic and virgin coconut oil for an intense treatment of your hair.
As we do in our Organic Argan hair conditioner recipe, we also make this hair mask as an emulsion. The difference here is that we decrease the amount of water and increase the amount of oils and shea butter – all this to have a more concentrate and much richer hair care product. The higher amount of shea butter will also increase the viscosity (consistency) of the formulation. Your hair will be left less frizzy and with a lasting protective layer.
The combination of lovely coconut aroma together with lavender, petitgrain and vanilla-like benzoin essential oils will add a pleasant and luxurious fragrance to this hair mask!
Ingredients for 250 gr recipe
|%||Weight in gr||Ingredient name||Phase|
|3,5||8,75||Skincare Crafters ECO||A|
|7,5||18,75||Coconut oil (Virgin)||B|
|5||12,5||Broccoli seed oil||B|
|5||12,5||Skincare Crafters MULS||B|
|13||32,5||Skincare Crafters SILK|
|2 (Approx. 40 - 60 drops / 100gr)||Approx. 100 - 150 drops in total||Divide the total amount of drops between one or more of following essential oils:
Lavender, Petitgrain, Benzoin
- Measuring spoon 1 ml
- One small and one larger bowl- for measuring and mixing the ingredients
- Digital scale– with 0,1 gram precision like this one
- Double boiler– for warming and melting oils, butters and oil-soluble ingredients. You can also use a heatproof glass beaker or jar resting in a saucepan with boiling water
- Stick blender– for mixing lotions and creams.
- pH stripes
- Recommended packing for this recipe: PET jar or glass jar
- Before you start, make a 20% citric acid solution by dissolving 1 ml citric acid in 4 ml of water. This solution will be used at the end to adjust the pH of the emulsion. Reserve it for now.
- Using the small bow, and the digital scale, measure all the ingredients from Phase B, and add them, one by one, to the double boiler.
- On the larger bowl, dissolve the xanthan gum into the glycerin until fully dissolved.
- Measure and add the Skincare Crafters ECO preservative to the glycerin and xanthan gum mixture.
- Heat the Phase B ingredients in the double boiler until approximately 75°C to 80°C
- In the meantime, while the Phase B ingredients are being heated, measure and heat the water using a saucepan or kettle, until approximately 75°C to 80°C.
- When both Phase B ingredients and the water have reached the same temperature of 75°C to 80°C, add first the water to the larger bowl containing the glycerin mixture, and then add the Phase B ingredients to the same bowl.
- Mix the blend using the stick blender, for about 1 minute.
- Continue to blend using the spatula until the mixture start to thicken. You can rest the bowl in cold water to speed up the process.
- When the mixture has cooled under 30°C, add the essential oils and mix it thoroughly.
- Check the pH using the pH stripes. The pH of the formulation should be between 4 and 5,5. If it is above 5,5, add few drops of the 20% citric acid solution made on step 1 and measure the pH value again. Repeat if needed.
- Pour the mask into the jar and let to cool down completely to room temperature before setting the cap.
How to use
Use this mask once a week. Apply it to clean, wet hair, massage the mask thoroughly and make sure it is evenly spread over the hair. Let it work for around 10 minutes. Rinse it off completely.